[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RQ gap addendum (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 19:33:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Edward V. Phillips" <ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re:  RQ gap addendum (fwd)

"Oh, one thing I forgot to mention is that I almost always ran the 1" pipe
gap with no cooling other than convection and the sparks still jump around
all over between the gap.

Chip
"

	My experience too.  I did mount the pipes so that their
axes were vertical, to increase convection cooling.  I also
expected sparking to concentrate at the ends, and was surprised
that it didn't.  By the way, first got this idea from one of the
excellent TCBOR video tapes.  One thing which has really puzzled
me is the apparent success of such gaps when mounted inside
PVC  pipe, and cooled with a fan.  Never have tried that, as had
always assumed the PVC  would melt almost instantly.  I guess
the air flow from the fan creates enough cooling to prevent that,
but have been deterred in building such a fancy gadget by the
fear that it would only last a few seconds.

Ed

[BTW -- I had my pipes flat.  They did heat up somewhat quickly and render
the gap ineffective -- Chip]