[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: AWG WIRE TABLE for Coilers (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 3 May 1998 20:41:08 -0700
From: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: AWG WIRE TABLE for Coilers (fwd)

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: AWG WIRE TABLE for Coilers (fwd)
> Date: Sunday, May 03, 1998 6:49 PM

I talked to a wire manufacturer, MWS, in Westlake Village, and their long
time expert said that they took the sizes of 4/0 and #36 and did a
geometric series (i.e. a constant ratio between gauges, or the exponential
progression described elsewhere). The variations in all the tables are due
to a given manufacturer's processes or due to limited precision in the
calculations or typos. Remember that many of those tables were written in
the days before calculators, and the log tables were calculated by hand
(mostly by a ship captain's wife on a sailing ship during long voyages).