[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re. Reactive to resistive ballast ratio of sqrt(3):1 ? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 15 May 98 14:33:09 EDT
From: Gary Lau  15-May-1998 1423 <lau-at-hdecad.ENET.dec-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re. Reactive to resistive ballast ratio of sqrt(3):1 ?

Wow!  It's been a long time since I've tried my hand at differential
equations.  I'll just have to believe you!

My experience has only been with NST-based coils, small potatoes by some
standards, so I have no experience with inductive and resistive ballast.
But this got me to thinking, could NST-based coils also benefit from this
analysis?  Most NST coilers use some sort of R/C/L network between the
main gap and the NST for protecting the NST.  Analysis of these networks
has focused solely on their protective merit.  Could these networks also
be affecting coil performance?  Certainly a much harder problem to model,
given the lack of a good model for current-limited transformers.

With more questions than answers,
Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA