[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 8KV tank supply from microwave oven components (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 23:18:57 +0300
From: Harri Suomalainen <haba-at-cc.hut.fi>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: 8KV tank supply from microwave oven components (fwd)

>tentative power supply. It is made of 2 sets of transformer + diode +
>capacitor from two microwave ovens. The transformers give about 2KV,
which is
>doubled with capacitor + diode to 4KV. Put two of these is series and you
>get 8KV. See the picture below:

Problems do exist. Diode multipliers generally tend to blow up unless
you have payed enough consideration for transients. Most often problem
is to forget that a short circuit at output  etc. may lead to large
currents
in diodes. Stored capasitor energy is also dissipated somewhere when
the output short-circuits.

Solving all problems can lead to *very* bulky and expencive filters for
dc bus (to limit peak currents). Not fun.

You better off with neons.

Nice to see yet another Finn on the list :)

--
Harri Suomalainen     mailto:haba-at-cc.hut.fi

We have phone numbers, why'd we need IP-numbers? - a person in a bus