[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Wire Insulation Thickness

----------
From:  Barton B. Anderson [SMTP:mopar-at-uswest-dot-net]
Sent:  Tuesday, May 26, 1998 9:53 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Wire Insulation Thickness

Gary,

> ----------

 Regarding the spark length vs. voltage; I don't think voltage to spark length is
quite as linear as you were equating (there was a thread on this a few months
ago), but your probably correct about the insulation of the copper magnet wire by
itself inadequate to stop the voltage from arcing between windings. However, most
coils are wound with layers of added "liquid penetrating" insulation (i.e,
varnish, polyurathanes, etc.) thus increasing the voltage handling capabilities.
Winding fishing line along with each winding seems like a very difficult task,
although not at all impossible.

Bart