[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Measurements of a cap's ESL, ESR (fwd)

----------
From:  Malcolm Watts [SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent:  Monday, May 25, 1998 11:56 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Measurements of a cap's ESL, ESR (fwd)

Hi Gary,

Right on. ESR is the equivalent series resistance and takes into
account *all* sources of dissipation in the circuit. It can be
transformed into an equivalent parallel resistance by 1+Q^2.

> While a cap's ESL is certainly small as compared to the tank inductor, I'm
> seeing in PSpice simulations that parasitic tank inductances outside of
> the primary (like ESL) have a profound effect on things.
>
> Terry Fritz's measurements using fiber optic probes have shown that a gap's
> conduction ceases briefly at each zero current crossing at the tank Fres.
> Each reignition of the gap excites high frequency oscillations due to
> parasitic L's and C-self of the primary.  I believe significant losses
> occur due to this, and this is the reason it's so important to have very
> short and beefy tank wiring, minimizing stray L's.
>
> If ESR of a cap is high, then it may well be the more significant
> parasitic and I was wrong to discount it, especially if it's another name
> for dielectric losses.

I agree. You can see this in stark detail if you compare the behaviour
of TCs with primary caps which have different loss tangents. Total
loss impinges directly on circuit Q. If it makes a difference, it
matters and should be taken into account. Compare caps with the same
construction and same plate area, size etc. but with different
dielectrics. TC output shows the differences up all right :)

Cheers,
Malcolm