[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Wire length,resonance, and Q (fwd)

----------
From:  terryf-at-verinet-dot-com [SMTP:terryf-at-verinet-dot-com]
Sent:  Friday, May 29, 1998 3:08 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Wire length,resonance, and Q (fwd)

Hi Greg,

At 11:36 PM 5/28/98 -0500, you wrote:

>----------

My tests show that the all the current isn't making it to the top electrode.
I think the self-capacitance is storing energy and thus "stealing" some of
the current before it gets that high.

>This current at the top simply goes into charging the top
>electrode, which has a lumped capacitance back to ground.

I agree 100%!!!

>The current going into the arc is typically only 30 to 40%
>of the total current being delivered to the top electrode.
>If you change the "electrical length" of the TC secondary,
>this will still be the case.
>

>-GL
>www.lod-dot-org

        My recent paper describes a current test I did on my research coil.
I found that the current going into the top electrode was about 60% of the
current at the base (no breakout).  I found that this almost exactly matched
the ratio of top to self-capacitance in my system.  Do you (or any one else)
have any similar results that might add to this?
        My results also show that the secondary was a lumped inductor with
no standing wave effects.  Theory (the new one) suggests that the phase was
off by 0.1 degree but that is due to the propagation speed of light).  Far
below my ability to measure.

My early tests with arcs are still too early to comment much on.  I am
building up new devices to measure this accurately.  However, the arcs seem
to be oscillatory high current pulses that drain the top terminal.  The
Cself may be harder to drain do to it's distribution on the secondary (the
inductance may get in the way).

Much to learn here.........

        Terry Fritz

www.peakpeak-dot-com/~terryf/tesla/experiments/experiments.html