[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Oil burner transformer--run at 2X voltage?

Doug wrote:

 "I've gotten a lead on a good-looking oil burner ignition transformer.
 Unfortunately, it only puts out about 1/4 of the power I need (I need 1
 kVA
 or so, and it's only 230 VA). It runs at 120V, so I thought of maybe
 running it at 240V. Barring a burnout, do you think it would saturate
 before it hit 240VAC?"

Hi Doug,

Aside from the probable burnout you mention, you will have two other problems
on your hands:

1.) The core will saturate. I would guess somewhere around 150-170 volts. You
can check this with an amperemeter in series with the primary. Slowly ramp up
your variac. When the core starts to saturate your primary current will rocket
up suddenly.

2.) Even if your core wouldn´t satuarate at 240 volts, you´ve got the next
problem: If your OBIT was designed to handle 5kv-0-5kv (120 input), you would
surely exceed the breakdown voltage of the secondary insulation with 240 volts
in. (10kv-0-10kv)!

It would be better to parallel two (identical) OBITS for increased power
output.

Coiler greets from germany,
Reinhard