[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Maxwell Labs cap. questions

 Original Poster: "B**2" <bensonbd-at-erols-dot-com>

 Hi Tony,
     I have 5 of these capacitors in my 500 kV trigger Marx.They are made with
mylar and are therefore lossy and will heat up faster than a polypropylene
capacitor.  They also contain castor oil which is viscus and not as good at
dissipating heat as oil.  These will work in Tesla coil service but will be
lossy.  You must keep a constant
 vigil on temperature.  A slight feeling of warmth on the outside could be
 very hot on the inside.

Hi Tony, B**2, All

If those caps are really built this way, forget about using them in TC work. I
blew several caps from the Platic Cap Co (which where built in a similar
fashion). On my MOT test setup the caps got so hot, (in about 15 secs run
time) that the glass cracked and melted the red label inside plus you get a
nice mess as the insides are turned outward. On an OBIT (200W) setup any run
time longer than about 40 sec spelled instant death to these caps.

Coiler greets from germany,
Reinhard