[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re:(Laser Triggered Spark Gap)not

Any laser capable of generating ionizing light like a florine or
eximer laser, will be large and expensive. Who said that you need a
coherent light source anyhow? You could use any strong source of
pulsed ionizing light to trigger your spark gap. Why not just use a
powerful Xenon flash tube. For example picture your spark gap in the
place of the ruby rod in a classic elliptical cross section flash
pumped ruby laser. If all that light is sufficient to pump a ruby rod
into lasing then I think that it would be more than sufficient to
start your spark gap. If you could run the whole thing in a vacuum it
might work even better. Better quench? I think it all sounds like a
workable design but then again I also think that the normal high
voltage trigger electrode designs mentioned here repeatedly are the
simplest lowest cost and most elegant solution to the goal of a
reliable "trigger on demand" spark gap.

P.S. I have recently read about some new long life UV solid state
laser diodes that have come on the market. One of these little babies
just might do the trick but I haven't seen any yet so it is pure
speculation until someone tries it out.

Thanks All: Steve Ivy
adder_black_the-at-yahoo-dot-com
Dallas Texas