[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 15 kva into a 8" dia coil

In a message dated 11/4/98 9:28:49 PM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

<<
 I ran my 18KW transformer on my 6" coil.  I was getting 6' spark running at
 3200 watts.  I turned the power up to 10KW and got some very hot sparks that
 curved out and back to the strike rail and to the ground but the sparks
 didn't get much longer than 8' even at the higher power setting.  Didn't
 have any arc over problems and the coil didn't catch on fire.  At 10KW I get
 126" sparks on my 10" coil.  The coil size has a lot to do with how much
 power you can run on it and the max spark length.

 Gary Weaver

Gary,

I agree.  I have achieved 104" sparks maximum from my 6.0" coil at about 8kva
and using large toroids.  I think I have about maxed this coil out.  I would
bet with the same power and same caps (.05 mfd) I could increase the spark
length by 20 to 40% by winding a new secondary that is 10" in diameter.

Ed Sonderman