[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 6" coil

Hi Rod,

Comments below

 I'm finally getting some respectable output from my new six inch coil.
 As I mentioned in my earlier posts I removed 50 turns from the primary
 of each antiparrallel transformer to increase the turns ratio. I also
 knocked all of the shunts out of both transformers and added a choke in
 series to control the current.
   After my third run minus the destroyed resistors I tried cranking up
 the variac a little more and the circuit breaker kicked out. It was only
 rated at 20amps so my next stop will be to the hardware store to buy a
 30amp.

Well nice to see your H&Rīs are working for you, after all.
However, they are conservativly rated at 8A (120v). I never understood this
because 5kV x 300mA are 1500VA, which means they should pull around 12.5A at
120V.
And I have never seen an xformer that actually "makes" power !!

Now, I donīt now how you wired the primary xformer setup. If you are running
the xformers in parallel at 120V a 30A fuse would be about right. Current
limit the H&R setup to a max of 25A (as your H&Rīs are now non limited).

If you are running the xformers in series (primary) and your 20A fuse pops you
are overdoing it. As long as your run times are small this might be okay, but
if you plan on running your coil longer lengths of time (say 10min and longer)
I would be careful about this.

Your xformer will never get "red hot" (really: you wonīt be able to notice it
and that is the problem) on short runs, but you are still stressing it. The
temperature of the core /outer winding are the last signs of oncoming
destruction. You canīt measure the temperature of the innermost winding (which
would give you this best idea of your xformers loading)

Coiler greets from germany,
Reinhard