[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Nitrogen laser power level and gas mixture

Hi All,

Now even Terry is getting dragged into the laser thread! :-)

	Many years ago (25) I built the nitrogen laser from Scientific American's
amateur scientist column (published around the mid 70s).  If I remember
right, it put out 100kW very short pulses (I think I made my lasing chamber
about 2 feet long).  If I put my hand in front of the beam and took a few
shots, the area on my hand would turn red for a day or so.  I would imagine
it was easily powerful enough to trigger a gap.  However it was quite an
effort unto itself.  It too had a HV charging system, spark gap (which you
could trigger with another nitrogen laser :-)), vacuum pump, capacitor
plates (that blew up regularly), etc.  Very complex compared to a small
sync rotary.  I can't imagine using that thing to trigger a Tesla coil gap
to any advantage.  Perhaps more modern stuff would be easier to build up
and use (I should have used poly for the caps).

BTW - I found that just air worked very well in this laser.  Not worth the
trouble finding pure nitrogen.  The linear gaps burned a bit but no big deal.

If anyone is going to use this laser for a spark gap and wants my advice,
write me off list and I'll try to help with the details.  I probably still
have my old notes stored away.

Good luck!

	Terry
	terryf-at-verinet-dot-com