[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Sync Spark Gap Scope Pic

Hi All,
	With all the discussion about timing spark gaps going on, I posted a scope
picture of my 1800 RPM sync gap firing at 120BPS.  I can easily set the gap
to fire anywhere on the AC cycle with the execption of the very low voltage
areas (voltage to low to fire accross the small gap).  The pic is at:

www.peakpeak-dot-com/~terryf/tesla/misc/syncfire.gif

The gap firing is very stable.  For a neon powered system I think the sync
rotary is a very good choice.  I still need to experiment with adding a
series multigap to help quenching.  This should work well acording to the
work the TCBOR has done in the past.  Rotray gaps do not quench well by
themelves unles you go to multigaped verions as Richard Hull and others
have used.

BTW - GM coils are designed to fire at 10000 RPM on a V-8 engine.  That
works out to 670BPS for those thinking of using one to trigger a gap.  They
could probably go to 1000 BPS.  One could build a fancy voltage triggered
gap that could fire at a dialed in cap voltage.  Heat at the gap and in the
coil driver would have to be worked out.  Quenching issues would need to be
considered.  However, for a pig type system there may be much advantage. -
Just a thought.

	Terry