[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: PSpice modeling of spark gaps

At 11:24 AM 11/9/98 +1200, you wrote:
>The real problem I see with sbreak is that the gap is not a fixed
>resistance but one that varies with current. What do the decrements
>produced with the gap model stuck in a resonant circuit look like?
>
>Malcolm

snip>

Aaah!  Malcolm too is playing with models! :-)

I suspect that the gap resistance may be less than the cap and primary
resistance in a well designed system.  Therefore, the resistance of the
primary circuit may be fairly consistent throughout the firing cycle.  I
originally came up with the 3 ohms of primary resistance by matching my
models to the real measurements I made.  I need to go back and re-examine
the primary resistance with my newer gaps to see what effect they are
having on primary resistance.  My feeling now is that they are not wasting
very much power at all.  Gary Lau is working with the zero crossing spikes
and parasitics in the gap.  I neglected this to go for the "total picture".
 His work is more detailed than mine in this area.  I think you can model
the primary resistance actively in MicroSim.  I might actually have to read
the instructions to find out how to do this however :-)).

	Terry