[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Transformer cores

At 01:03 PM 08/11/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Original Poster: RODERICK MAXWELL <tank-at-magnolia-dot-net>
>
>I have been reading some postings from one of the list members in
>Australia who has built his own home built pig. I would like to know if
>anyone knows were to find large laminated iron cores? This would give
>you the flexibility to wind a transformer to whatever voltage that you
>like and would be a great learning experiance as well.

Being the "winder of the pig", take it from the old hands ... you just have
to roll-up the sleeves and get a little dirty.  Rummage through old
2nd-hand electronics stores.

I approached a local transformer maker & quote for 7.5 kVA core was $650
AUS !!

The 5 kVA (which I can probably run at 7.5 kVA) transformer which I
re-wound cost $100AUS (ie. about $65US).  Then the primary was already wound !

As for educational ....... well, I guess I did learn a lot, but boy, I
wouldn't want to do another one for a while ;-)

As for the other "Adelaidian's" on the list, Kab's Recycling has another 4
of these transformers for sale.  Get 'em while there HOT !!!

cheers,

Mark Finnis					Hm:  61 8 8289 5205
Consultant, Intensive Care Unit			Wk:  61 8 8222 5042
Royal Adelaide Hospital				Fax: 61 8 8223 6340
Adelaide  SA  5000,   Australia			Mbl: 041 2324268
http://www.health.adelaide.edu.au/icu/