[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Transformer cores

>   Max
>
>   He did do a great job on the transformer and oil filled case, very neatly
> done.  As to transformer cores here in the USA, they are everywhere.  An
> electrical surplus shop may have many dry 3-phase power transformers that
can
> be re-stacked and wound for single phase.  Most of these are
120/240--240/480
> up to around 2400 volts.  I have found they like to get rid of odd ball
> voltage transformers cheap, like 600 volt units and any transformer that is
> not complete (like a panel missing).  Even those 60 amp 12 volt battery
> chargers have excellent cores for rewinding.
>
>   If you like a challenge, try a distribution transformer rewind shop, they
> scrap pigs for pennies on the dollar and some times are just free
(especially
> 240/7200 volt pigs).
>   The cores are "c" shaped and each lamination is a different size, each one
> fits over the next one for one side of the core, then two of them pass
through
> the windings to complete the transformer.
>
>   The best thing about rewinding transformers is some times the low voltage
> winding can be left alone, and only a high voltage winding wound over the
> original low voltage
> (120/240) winding.  If not, then most times the wire can be reused, large
gage
> copper primary wire is not cheap to buy!
>
> Happy rewinding
>
> Kevin E.

   That only leaves one problem finding a local shop (within a 100 mile
radius). If it's any further than that I might as well order a fully
operational pig from Austin or T&R.
   Also I'll have to finish the rotary gap I started on this summer.
There is no way a static gap is going to quench it. My vaccuum gap has a
hard time quenching the two H&R transformers I'm using now. I think I'll
use the rotary in series with the vaccuum gap.

                                   Frankensteins Helper
                                           Max