[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Transformer cores

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: alfred.skrocki.sr-at-juno-dot-com (Alfred A Skrocki)
>
> On Sun, 08 Nov 1998 13:03:02 -0700 RODERICK MAXWELL
> <tank-at-magnolia-dot-net> wrote:
>
> >I have been reading some postings from one of the list members in
> >Australia who has built his own home built pig. I would like to know
> >if anyone knows were to find large laminated iron cores? This would give
> >you the flexibility to wind a transformer to whatever voltage that you
> >like and would be a great learning experiance as well.
>
> When I was about 15 I wanted a several Killowatt supply for my Tesla
> coils and couldn't find anything close so I got this idea of making a
> transformer core out of iron wire
> used in the construction industry (in concrete work) it comes in boxes
> about 3 feet
> long and may be 4 by 4 inches packed dense with about 18 to 20 gauge iron
> wire. I heated the bundle of wire in a charcoal fire and allowed it to
> cool very slowly to aneal the wire. I then bent the wires into a square
> shape and alternated the sides that the ends came together on. I wraped
> the whole deal in several layers of electrical tape and wound my primary
> on one side and the secondary on the other. I managed to get a fairly
> nice although very bulky transformer that gave me 3 killowatts at 18KV on
> the secondary.
>
>                                Alfred A. Skrocki

   I thougt the iron had to be of a specific type to avoid residual
magnetism (steel will become permanently magnetized)? After you annealed
the wire could you magnetize it by strokeing it with a permanent magnet?
I am familiar with the wire you have mentioned, it is used to tie steel
together in a concrete form.

                                     Frankenstein Helper
                                           Max