[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: PSpice modeling of spark gaps

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Greg Leyh <lod-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>
> > Original Poster: "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
> >
> > The real problem I see with sbreak is that the gap is not a fixed
> > resistance but one that varies with current. What do the decrements
> > produced with the gap model stuck in a resonant circuit look like?
>
> If Rbreak is sufficiently smaller (<0.1) than Zpri,
> will its non-linear action noticably affect operation?
>
> Has anyone added an op-amp and current shunt to Sbreak
> to more closely model the quenching?
> --

Greg, I haven't tried an op amp or current shunt to Sbreak, but I think
modeling quenching more closely is a good idea. In Gary's post regarding
behavior spice models, I think the site offered good information and
sparked some ideas to those who took the time to read through it.

I think it can be modeled by adding in behaviors derived from
current/voltage levels, avalanche thresholds, and other associations in
the gap. ("includes negative arc resistance, arc sustaining current, and
accounts for variable dV/dt applied to the device") as stated by Gary.
These parameters can be "modeled".  Has anyone scoped out these or other
parameters (real world measurements)?

Bart