[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: T&R pole pigs..

Ed: Sorry I missed the signature... this should not happen again.
Anyway, when it comes to the mains, i.e. getting the power from
the breaker to the outlet, I prefer to drop the bucks for
new equipment. It's real expensive to rebuild the garage after
a fire :)

Now the stuff from the wall out.. *that* I get used.
[oh, and the welder too.. Picked that up for $100, not bad
for a 225A Lincon.]

BTW: someone on the list tell me if I am wrong, but think
I have figured out how to inexpensivly measure my current
draw. I thought about current transformers, etc.. then
as I was figuring out the wiring for the ballast + the series
resitor (0.4ohm -at- 1KW, used, $15.00) I realized that I could
get both average and peak current draw via voltmeters.

Average: Connect 0-15VAC meter aross resistor. Voltage follows
at 0.4*current draw.. so at my planned max of 30A, I see 12V.

Peak value: also connect full-wave bridge across R, with a small
cap across the output of the bridge. Use a 0-30V DC meter.
I would think this would give me peak current draw.

Comments?
Michael Baumann
Coiler, Homebrewer, Nerd. mycroft-at-access1-dot-net