[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: VARIAC's

Gordon,

If there are 6 variacs per array, a reasonable guess would be that
they were originally used with 3-phase power.  The two per phase were
probably connected in series so that each handled 120V/240V input since
120V/240V units can be used in most applications using either series
or parallel connections.

The wiring on the big variacs I've seen is easily identified by just
removing the cover and looking where each wire goes.  There should be
one going to the brush, another 2 going the ends of the winding and
my guess would be that the remaining 4 are taps on the winding so
the variac can be used at other voltages.  One of these 4 should be
in the middle for the 240 connection of the 240/480 input.

How much does each variac weigh?  A 30A variac for 240V input will
probably weigh nearly 100 lbs, so if each array weighs around 500 lbs,
it should be possible to parallel connect them for a 6*30A = 180A -at-
240V variac.  That's over 40kVA, which would handle all but the
largest systems.  It they are in good condition, that is a really good
deal for $200!  Would you give more information about how to contact
the salvage yard?

Jim Monte