[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

transformer rewind

Why in the world can't my wife understand the value of spending hours in
the garage in pursuit of the ever illusive spark????  Now for the more
serious and less aggravating question. I have a very heavy double 'E'
transformer core that I want to rewind for tesla use. The middle leg csa
is 8 in^2. Both outer legs, top and bottom have a csa of 6 in^2 each.
Lots of area within for primary and secondary. This is my first rewind
and since I anticipate using several km of wire on my secondary I want
to do it right the first time. It came from a constant voltage
transformer but the windings were so hacked up that I couldn't get a
count of the number of turns on the primary. Q1 - would 110 turns on the
primary be sufficient for 220 v. I don't know the actual gauge but I
will be using at least the same as was on it ( heavy ). Q2 - I
anticipate a secondary center tapped to the middle leg. Using 110 turns
on the primary I will be able to wind the secondary for 15 kv using 22
awg and have room to play. Sound good ??    Your ideas will be much
appreciated.

Ron Q.

Cambridge Ontario.