[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: vacum tubes

<< Original Poster: BAREN01-at-aol-dot-com

> I was just wondering if there are any major disadvantages to using a vacuum
> tubes for spark gaps?  If so, what?  If not, why dosn't everyone use them?

BARE,

I hate to put it this way, but the major disadvantage is they don't work.
The TC switch has to be capable of handling heavy bi-directional current,
in other words, a low impedance device.

A hydrogen thyratron tube can be used, but requires special circuitry.
This technique has been explored by Richard Hull of the TCBOR.  I
plan to try it too, but I've been too lazy, and busy making spun aluminum
toroids.

John Freau