[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tube Coils

<<
> Hello, My name is Philip, I hve just started this great hobby for those who
> dont know me. I have resently become interested in tube coils. I have asked
> this on the tesa-2 list and was refered here by some list members. I was
> talking to Mike Hammer about this stuff and he didnt seem to want to explain
> any tube stuff at all, so today I went out and bought a tube. I got a 6164
> tube and was hoping to use it on the coil shown on www.pupam-dot-com I really
> know nothing about tubes at present so if anyone wants to help me ide
> appriceate it.

> Thank you,
> Philip Mac Duffie
> http://hv.hypermart-dot-net

> P.S i allso got a 801A tube from school, would this be better? >>

Phillip,

Welcome to the list.  I once used a 6164 tube to build a small TC that
gave a 2" spark until the circuit burned up after about 2 minutes, this
was when I was learning about the subject, but it was fun anyway.
According to my manual, the 801 has a graphite plate which is very
good, but I don't know if all 801's have the graphite plate.  (The graphite
plates look very thick, rather than the sheet metal appearance of the
6164).  I forget if the 6164 is a triode, but the 801 is...triodes are best,
(fewer parts to burn up).  I suspect that the 801 can take a lot higher
than the rated 600 volts plate voltage too, it would probably withstand
1300 volts from a small microwave oven transformer which makes a
convenient and easily available power supply.  Tube coils are easy to
make, but take time to tune up properly, and adjust the grid coil,
grid leak bias, etc, for best efficiency.

I've built tube coils giving up to 40" sparks before destructive tube
breakdown.  Tube coils use non-current-limited transformers so they
are extra dangerous and deadly if you touch the wrong points, so you
have to use a rigid discipline of always making sure the power if off
first before touching anything, this rule of  course applies to any TC.

Even a microwave oven transformer driven tube coil can give 20"
sparks using a suitable tube.

It is good to start with a small coil as you are doing to learn the basics.
I'm not familiar with the coil plans you mentioned.

John Freau