[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: streamer hit

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Barton B. Anderson" <mopar-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
> Terry, Bert, anyone,
>
> Tesla List wrote:
>
> > Original Poster: Terry Fritz <terryf-at-verinet-dot-com>
> >
> > At 10:51 PM 11/11/98 -0600, you wrote:
> > >Tesla List wrote:
> > >snip>
> > >Terry and all,
> > >
> > <snip>
> > It would be interesting to know is anyone has noticed any long term
> > affects of arcs through the body aside from the obvious burns and the
> > mentioned short term tingling muscles?
> >
> >         Terry
>
> A couple months ago I was running the coil in the garage, and this was a
> rather long
> run which I've mentioned briefly in other posts. The run duration was near
> 5 minutes.
> During the run I was walking back and forth in front of the coil just
> observing every
> detail. I wasn't close enough to take a direct hit, but there times I
> lifted my arms
> strait up feeling the hair on my arms stand-up. It was a fun night and
luckily
> nothing went "poof". The next morning, one arm felt like I had 100 year old
> bones. It
> was an ache kind of like arthritis. It lasted a little more than a week and
> gradually
> went away and I forgot about it until this post.
>
> So, I'm pretty sure I didn't take a hidden hit as the power was at about
> 4kva. Is it
> possible that prolonged exposure near or within the field can cause tissue
> damage?
> Something happened that night. There was just too much coincidence in the
> activity
> just prior to the pain for me to think otherwise.
>
> Bart

Bart and all,

This is a real poser! All of the incidents I'm familiar with or have
experienced have been associated with actual current flow from an actual
discharge. If you were feeling electrostatic effects on the hairs of
your arm, then you were close enough to be in the strong E-field from
the top of the coil. If this was somehow causing an internal problem
(which it probably shouldn't), one would think that more than just one
arm would be affected. Strange!

Running your system for an extended period with inadequate ventillation
could have subjected you to noxious levels of nitric oxide or ozone.
Nitric oxide irritates eyes, can cause severe headache, nausea,
tightness of the chest, and may cause swelling of the lungs. The latter
may not show up until hours later, and CAN be life threatening. The
symptoms for ozone are similar to those for nitric oxide, except that
ozone is also a very powerful ozidizer. I've seen blue-lined paper
bleached white from TC-created ozone over a period of months, and rubber
bands crack and disintegrate from the stuff!

Of possible relevance - per the MSDS for Ozone, prolonged exposure
apparently can cause premature aging!! Hmm... perhaps that's why you
felt the arthritus-like symptoms coming on?? :^)

-- Bert --