[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Help with Pig Training

Hi Mark,

> Hi world,
>
> OK, so I finished my transformer.  13.5 kV, probably up to 7.5 kVA without
> problems.
>
> Ballasting with arc-welder (140A max) and 1 ohm resistance (not pure as
> heater wire around ceramic formers).  In line A&V meters.  Short = Jacob's
> ladder pulls about 12-13A ......... quite impressive too!
>
> Now I'm in the process of building a larger coil & have tried some
> preliminary runs but was getting little joy.  So, thought I would run it
> into my 6" setup as this is now a fairly predictable arrangement.
>
> Using either static gap, or RSG, get intermittent functioning.  Now this is
> NOT tank firing and intermittent break-out from toroid, this would be
> perfectly understandable.  The TANK fires intermittently with synchronous
> secondary breakout, ie. there will be a short 3-5s burst, then quiet, 1-2s
> burst then quiet, and so on.  Don't get the continuous feed to the
> secondary I used to get with my NST supply, and thus there is no
> establishment of ion channels and reinforcement to longer streamers ......
>
> Mind you, the single-shots are intense ;-)
>
> The NST supply was 15 kV / 120 mA + R-C protection with a 0.024 tank cap.
> I'm using the same tank-cap, tapped at the same primary turn, just
> substituting power source.  Have safety gaps each line to earth + filter
> caps (no R element for pig).  Ammeter bounces to 10-15A on firing.  Effect
> is independent of RSG speed.
>
> Any ideas ??

I encountered exactly that problem when I stuck a large toroid on the
10" coil.  No solution here. I tried improving gap quenching with
compressed air but no joy. Perhaps a sync rotary would be the answer.
I am getting the bits for one together at the moment. At least it
should fire because the minimum electrode distance should do the
trick.

Malcolm