[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Beginner's Tesla coil -First Light!

At 06:03 AM 11/16/98 PST, Sam Barros wrote:

> But 3 - 4 cm is nothing compared to your unbelievable 25cm sparks!
>Terry, you got to teach me how to do this!!! SOO COOL!!!

The trick is that the primary and secondary are tuned to the same resonant
frequency.  Thus, it works like a true Tesla coil.  I would think your set
up should have done better but perhaps the tuning just wasen't were it
needed to be and power was being lost in the gap just like an untuned Tesla
coil.  You probably still had the iron core in yours, so I would think pure
transformer action should have given a beter output.  Hard to say without
some real heavy thought why it didn't work well.

	Terry