[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Secondary coil forms

It seems like the most common coil form is PVC pipe. I have seen post's
that discuss coating the pipe with a low loss insulator since PVC is
apparently lossy.

Does it make sense to place plastic spacers equally around the coil form
to lift the wire off the PVC to reduce the losses? This would seem to
have the added benefit of reducing the parasitic capacitance caused by
the PVC dielectric and adjacent coil wires. I would think that a "pure"
inductor (the secondary) and a "pure" capacitor (the top load cap) would
give better performance than having some of the capacitance down in the
coil.

Bill