[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Beginner's Tesla coil -First Light!

At 12:46 PM 11/16/98 -0700, you wrote:

>Original Poster: Terry Fritz <terryf-at-verinet-dot-com>
>
>Hi All,
>
>	10 inch arcs out of a GM HEI ignition coil!!

Tew kewl ;-)  I read a while back about someone claiming 3 foot sparks from
dual- ignition coils. Can someone search the archive & find it? Would be
nice to have a decent boolean search engine on the Tesla List's web page.
Otherwise, when I get a 10 Gig disk I'll go through the agony of snatching
the whole archive so I can search it effectively on my own PC.

>It easily arced the 10" ... and the voltage should have been around 120kV.

Great!, but isn't voltage typicaly 50KV/inch?

>Thus I could fire it at a much higher rate than 1 BPS ...I knew much more
power was
>needed...  The neon ran it right up there to ~10BPS.  Then the coil
>blew!

But how much energy/bang & average power?

>	The caps (17 0.1uF 630V Polypropylenes)

Thanks...

>This coil only uses about 1/4 Joule of energy so it should not be strained.

1/4 Joule 10/second is 4 watts average

>I got a little carried away when I saw those nice arcs.  I just
>kept pumping more and more power into it!  I probably would have given it
>the full 1kW! :-))

How else do you know what its good for :-)

See my "ignition coil measurements" post for my ignition coil measurements.