[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Spinning pipes

Hi Dave,

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Dave Bell <dbell-at-TheBells-dot-net>
>
> > Original Poster: "Barton B. Anderson" <mopar-at-uswest-dot-net>
> >
> > Alfred,
> >
> > > Original Poster: alfred.skrocki.sr-at-juno-dot-com (Alfred A Skrocki)

>   :
>   :
>   :
> > I thought about this originally, but at the time couldn't figure out a
good
> > way to mount the piping solidly to the fixed electrodes. However, after
> > figuring out the mounting for the spheres, adding the piping will not be a
> > problem. I would not use 6" length on the fixed pipe as I want to arc
across
> > a single pipe which means the fixed pipe length would be around 2" length.
> >
> > I'll give it a try.
> >
> > Bart
>
> Bart - did you ever put up a sketch of this gap?

Just put one up. It's a just a quick "idea" sketch. It's built basically as
seen
here.
It's at  http://www.geocities-dot-com/capecanaveral/hangar/3108/squirlcage2.jpg

> I think I just hit headfirst into a misconception as to how this thing is
> arranged...
>
> My vision of the system was a number of 6" lengths of copper pipe, mounted
> around the periphery of a rotor, so that all the pipes are parallel to the
> axis. Basically, a spinning, cylinderical cage. Outside this cage, you
> mounted a pair of spherical terminals, presumably opposite each other.

Opposite of the pipe ends, not on each side of the cage. Not really
different than
a standard gap RSG electrically. There are a lot of different ways to do
the same
thing.

> The
> arc fires when a pair of pipes is closest to the pair of electrodes, and
> quenches as the rotor pulls the pipes farther away.

Sort of. When a single pipe is closest to a pair of fixed electrodes.
However, the
fixed electrodes can be positioned in a few different ways. For example,
completely center when a pipe passes by or offset in a way that when the
spinning
pipes are leaving one fixed electrode it is just reaching another. Don't
really
know if this would be any different for an arc formation or quenching, but
it will
be fun to play with and find out.

Bart