[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Pole Pigs

On Tue, 17 Nov 1998 16:16:37 -0700, you wrote:

>Original Poster: "Vivian Watts" <V.C.Watts-at-btinternet-dot-com>
>
>Hi All, Especially UK coilers,
>    I visited the Auction today which was posted on this list at AllenWest
>Ltd.  This was a transformer manufacturer of pigs to power station
>transformers.  Well I seem to be out bid on most things.  The most
>disappointing was a 3 ganged variac (25amps each) which I bid to £85 then
>chickened out.  This would have been a coilers paradise except everything of
>material nature was like one ton pallets of stuff.
>
>Anyway not actually in the auction because of a dispute over ownership was
>completed pole pigs.  Their was 26 off 16KVA 11KV new (4 months old) filled
>with oil etc. never been raced or rallied pole pigs.  They were made for
>South Wales Electricity Board.  I offered £50 for one which was politely
>declined with the statement that the scrap value would be £160.  However in
>the auction a transformer the size of a  house went for £150 which would
>have had an enormous scrap value at his pig rate.
But transport costs on something this big would probably severely
offset the scrap value. I'm sure lw-loaders with police escorts don;t
come cheap!
>So I propose still
>formally making an offer between £50 to £150 for a new pig.
>They weigh 158kg each.  Making an offer for a several may enhance the chance.

Worth a shot, but do you really want something that big ? If not, I'd
be surprised if you couldn't find something more manageable for this
sort of price.
In a way, it's a pity there are so many - one or two and they'd
probably be happy to get rid of them cheap, but quantity makes them
more attractive for scrap value.