[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Terry's GM HEI Coil Update.

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Terry Fritz <terryf-at-verinet-dot-com>
>
> Hi All,
>
>         Tonight I tested my new and improved Tesla coil made out of a
General
> Motors High Energy Ignition coil.
--SNIPPO
>  At 1400 volts I noticed that I was standing pretty far back.  At 1.6
joule pulse power at
> 10kHz (I think it is over 180 kV!) the output would be pretty nasty to
> touch.  I have touched it at much much lower levels and it definitely packs
> a painful punch.  The final beginner's coil power will need to be much less
> than this level!  The scope also showed that there can be substantial DC
> offsets in the output.  At these extreme test levels, I must wonder if the
> output is getting near the lethal area.  No good way to test this but the
> danger is definitely getting serious in the testing I am doing.  This
> special testing is definitely NOT for the beginner!!
Terry

I read in a very reputable auto magazine (Car & Track, Hot Rod, etc.)
that a late model Corvette owner is now six feet under from the
GM HEI.  He was probing around in the dark, no light and got NAILED
and ATE FOR LUNCH by 100kV from a IDLING ENGINE.  As Terry mentioned,
this is not for the feint at heart, or the fool-hearty!  BE CAREFUL
with direct drive circuits like this, no playing and no second chances!

Regards

DAVE SHARPE, TCBOR