[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Brazing transformer

Hi All,
    Yesterday at an Auction I bought a brazing transformer for £5 (8$).
After removing the auction sticker I saw the sign NOT WORKING.  I wondered
why no one bided against me, a sort of deathly hush :-(  Anyway I have since
found the armour plated mains lead to a foot switch was open circuit (the
armour was chewed up) so it actually appears to be OK :-).  Shorting the
output give between 5-80mH on the mains side.  However I noted that when the
transformer is switched to the hottest setting (165Amps at 6V out) on my
Wavetek meter I get 5mH on the 20mH range but 9mH on the 200mH range.  I do
not believe it to be due to the accuracy of the meter but more a function of
the current supplied by the meter on different ranges.

The question I have, if I use this as ballast on a pig will the much higher
current than my meter gives, cause the inductance to be higher or lower? I
have yet to get the pig!

Regards

Viv Watts UK.