[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Massive Confusion.

In a message dated 11/19/98 9:28:14 PM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

<< Michael,

 I used a welder as ballast for about a year and a half for my 5 kva pole
 transformer.  With a few ohms of resistance in series with the welder, I did
 not have any problems throttling the current down to about 10 amps.  The
 welder was a Miller Thunderbolt rated at 40 to 230 amps ac.  I have since
 switched to a variac for ballast as the pole transformer was causing some 60
 hz resonance with the tank circuit and blowing up my caps.

 At 5kva, the transformer would draw approximately 21 amps.  I have had my
 primary current up as high at 40 amps (close to 10 kva) and typically run at
 30 to 35 amps and the transformer does not even get warm.

 Ed Sonderman

Correction - the above should read "the welder was causing some 60 hz
resonance"

Ed Sonderman