[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Re. Many spark gap tests !

<< With my choice of 4 Gaps,  my average firing voltage would be 8.3Kv,
 >(just below the peak secondary voltage of my neon transformer.)
 >However this test shows me that the voltage could OCCASIONALY far
 >exceed 8.3Kv because the firing voltage is not very consistent, causing
 >damage to insulation in transformers and capacitors.>
  >>snip

Gary,

Am I understanding correctly that the voltage varied by a couple kV,
so the max voltage you saw was about 10.3kV for the 8.3kV average
setting gap spacing?  I wonder if the amount of overvoltage depends
on L/C ratios in the primary, gap type, etc.  If you used fan blown air
flow in the TCBOR gap, this may add some voltage variability compared
with a non-fan blown gap maybe?

John Freau