[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Off-axis primary inductance

In a message dated 11/23/98 6:01:21 AM Mountain Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>The practical conclusion is that it IS technically acceptable to place a
 >high quality air core tuning coil in series with the Tesla coil primary
 >coil in order to achieve 'fine tuning' without throwing away hard won RF
 >tank circuit energy!
 >
 >Real valuable knowledge gleaned by the actual doing.
 >
 >Robert W. Stephens

Robert,
   Thanks for that insightful post.  It makes perfect sense that you don't
really waste the tank circuit energy so long as your coupling still transfers
that energy to the secondary.  I can imagine that you might have to increase
the coupling slightly to adjust for the slight loss in the mutual inductance,
but that shouldn't make too much difference.  I will design this into my next
coil since the primary is the one thing left to do.
Mike