[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Low voltage sparkgaps for ignition coil driver...

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>
>
> Tesla List wrote:
>
> > The dielectric strength of air is 20k(!!)V per mm not 20v/mil.
>
> 30 kV/cm, or 3 kV/mm, or 76 kV/inch, or 76 V/mil, is a better figure.
> But I read somewhere that less voltage than about 240 V (or
> something in this range) cannot cause air breakdown, no matter
> what is the distance. (Does someone know more about this?)
>
> Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz

Antonio,

There's an experimental relationship which defines voltage breakdown in
a gas versus distance and pressure. Discovered in 1889, it's called
Pachen's Law, after its discoverer and researcher.

If you plot the voltage breakdown of a small gap at in the y-axis versus
the product of pressure and distance in the x-axis, there's a "knee"
(lowest point) of voltage breakdown for all gases. This knee is directly
related to avalanche breakdown where a single electron can be
acellerated by the E-field sufficiently to create more ions and
electrons due to collision with the surrounding gas molecules or atoms.
If the gap is very short, it will take a higher voltage to begin the
breakdown process - the breakdown voltage actually rises as you decrease
the gaplength! For air at STP, this "knee" occurs at about 380 volts or
so.

-- Bert --