[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: IMPORTANT: RESEARCH ON WHAT?

> Original Poster: "Marco Denicolai"<Marco.Denicolai-at-tellabs.fi>

> My questions are:
>
> 1. What is still not understood about Tesla Coils and what would be
> worth investigating about?

Without a doubt, the creation and maintenence of long sparks in air
using a pulsed disruptive system.  This topic would also be of interest
to those in fields outside the realm of TC's.

The creation aspect -
  the physics of the stepped leaders as the spark advances
  leader base currents vs. time, pulse energy, spark length
  *boundary conditions on the overall spark growth*

The maintenence aspect -
  the dynamic impedance of a fully formed spark/arc
  effective lifetimes of the ion channel vs. avg pwr, BPS, length
  the recovery times of *long*, freshly extinguished arc channels

> 2. Would it be more challenging insteas of a 2-coil TC to build and
> measure a 3-coil TC (Magnifier)?

Only in a logistical sense. :^)  There is not much actual Tesla
coil physics left that hasn't already been hashed out in the 1930's.
In an engineering sense however, it would be interesting to know
the exact voltage and current distributions along the secondary
during operation, and ultimately the proper coil geometry that
provides a uniform electric field along the entire coil length.

> 3. What you would start researchin about, if you were me?

Start researchin' parts vendors for pulsed power and HV components.
Keep creative control of the design as it affects your thesis (and
budget), and don't sub it out to any coil hucksters!
--

-GL
www.lod-dot-org