[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Using neons for limiting?

On Mon, 23 Nov 1998 16:29:17 -0700 in the Tesla List
Wise <mwise44-at-flash-dot-net> wrote:

>Is it possible to use a neon with its secondaries shorted for current
>limiting? Or perhaps an induction motor in series with the transformer.
>I am not talking about using these long periods of time but I would
>like to use them so I can test my potential transformer. The potential
>transformer I have will draw ~34A at its rating. I only have a 20A
>breaker to run it on. So I am wanting to limit it to at least 15A
>maybe 20A max.

Hi Chris, Since Neon sign transformers only come in relatively low
wattages, 450 watts for your typical 15 KV 30 ma. transformer or only 900
watts for your other common size: the 900 watt 15 KV at 60 ma. their not
going to alow much power into your transformer. Since neon sighn
transformers are current limited with a magnetic shunt there is no way
your going to damage one by shorting out the secondary as you would in
using it as a reactor or inductive ballast! For just testing out the
transformer you'd do much better with a string of light bulbs as a
resistive ballast.  For your 20 amp limit at 120 volts you need 1800 watts
og light bulbs in a string of say 18 100 watt lamps or you could look for
an electric stove in the trash and us one or two of the stove top heating
elements.
You could use them to limit your final coil too but your simple wasting
all that power as heat though.

>I have a neon that draws about 13A, but I don't want to destroy my neon
either >(12kv-at-90ma).

I don't think so. That 12 KV at 90 ma. is only 1080 watts and at 120
volts that's only 9 amps! I know neon sign transformers aren't noted for
efficiency but they ain't that bad!

                               Alfred A. Skrocki
                          Alfred.Skrocki.Sr-at-JUNO-dot-com
                 Visit my Do-It-Yourself Aquarium WEB page at:
                  http://WWW.GeoCities-dot-com/CapeCanaveral/6251

Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno-dot-com/getjuno.html
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]