[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: IMPORTANT: RESEARCH ON WHAT?

Marco,

Congratulations on wonderful opportunity you've been given. I eagerly look
forward to seeing the results of your research. I have seen many replies to
your post requesting that you essentially conduct your research on getting the
longest spark. I think this is rather biased by the primary goal of most
coilers. However, the sparks should be explored for their effects on the
operation of the circuit. I feel that it would be a much greater contribution
to science to research the true (and useful) purpose of the Tesla coil: to
efficiently transmit large quantities of energy. I would explore the wireless
energy transmission aspects of the Tesla coil. What are the propagation
patterns over long distances? What is the field distribution pattern around
the coil itself (all 3 dimensions)? Explore the fields generated by a toroid
(very close, and long range). How should the coil be designed to maximize its
efficiency in processing and transmitting energy. Make a detailed model of the
system that takes into account every possible factor. The coil operation must
be a solid science with no guess-and-check work involved in its design. If you
get really ambitious, you could research the use of the earth itself as part
of the resonator, as Tesla did in Colorado Springs. You would need a rather
large setup for this, and thus it may be beyond the scope of your project (it
sure would be fun though). Good luck on your thesis. Make sure that it makes a
valuable contribution to science.

Matt Behrend