[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Got two more

Hi All,

Thanks for the multitude of answers to my last questions. Now, I got two more.
Here they are:

1.) Building poly caps: Would it be sensible (worthwhile) to add a thin layer
of paper (like Xerox paper only longer and wider) between each layer of poly
and the next. The paper would really soak up oil und contribute to good
insulation. The thickness of the paper shouldnīt reduce the total capacitance
too much. The additional thickness will improve flashover characteristic (not
much, tho).

2.) Do I really need to ground my secondary coil ? I havenīt gotten around to
finishing my new RF ground (4 pieces of 4 ft 35mm wide zinc coated T-iron
rammed aprox. 3 ft apart into soft earth and interconnected with AWG 1) for my
big tc. Iīm runnning my small tc (3.4" secondary) the following way (for the
moment):

There is no connection between primary and secondary (for obvious safety
reasons).
I simply run a well insulated wire from the bottom of my secondary to a strike
rod (placed on insulated containers) and principally let the arcs fly from the
top of the secondary to the bottom (strike rod).

Will this reduce my max spark length /any other problems, etc ?

My old tcīs (where I was still living in the states) had a primitiv RF ground
(just a single copper pipe rammed into the ground), but I couldnīt compare
these spark lengths to the ones Iīm makin now, because I use different
equipment here, diff line freq, more experience now, etc and to be truthfull I
canīt really remember the exact spark lengths of coils built 15-17 years ago
(I know Iīm almost thirty, so Iīm gettin old...At least I can now change the
popular saying: "Donīt trust anyone over 30" into anyone UNDER 30 (grin).

Thanks for the info on this great list,
Coiler greets from germany,

Reinhard