[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Self-built power transformer

First off, I'd like to thank everybody for helping me with this transformer.

Questions: what do you mean by end-to-end airgaps? What should the core be
laminated with--will poly work? I just covered it with that today, to prevent
arcovers.

Also, how many turns would you advise I use? I've found some unused
transformers
to rip apart, so I have plenty of wire, as well as lots of poly to insulate it
with.

Last, an explanation for my signature--I spend a lot of time playing
Unreal, so
it's convenient to have my netname on my signature.

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
>
> Hi Doug,
>           Some important things about your proposal:
>
> > Original Poster: Doug Brunner <dabrunner-at-earthlink-dot-net>
> >
> > What I meant is, it's wound on a solid iron core and placed in a pipe to
> > contain
> > the oil and provide magnetic coupling.
>
> First off, eddy current losses will be high as the core is one big
> shorted turn. So is the pipe you are going to surround it with. It
> should be laminated. It's also a rather lossy shorted turn as iron is
> not a good conductor so expect some heating. Next, plain old iron
> will exhibit rather high hysteresis losses as it is easily magnetized
> and tends to stay that way. Thirdly, coupling will be very poor as
> there are huge end-end airgaps. Expect a low induction factor (= lots
> of turns required for primary and secondary windings to avoid
> saturation). It will also exhibit a lot of leakage inductance. I
> agree with Erik. I don't think this is a good proposition.
>
> Malcolm

--
           --Mr. Postman (Doug Brunner)
                <dabrunner-at-earthlink-dot-net>