[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Power Applied?, and further wiring tricks..

First: To those that told me resistive ballasting sucks, and I really need
       inductive ballasting, you were right.. hoo boy were you right!
	 Using the same neons that I used to use to power the system as ballast
	 I got far more impressive output.. to the point of where I am
       going to have to take the coil outside because it is savaging
	 the walls and garage door. This means I hitting at least 45" with
       the two 12KV/30ma units ballasting my 14.4KV pig.
Second: Query on power usage:
	 I am installing a 30A/220 circut to feed my pig. I intend to bring
       the power to my control box in such a way as I can get some 110V
       for the control transformers for the dead-man, etc. Therefore I
       intend to use 110-0-110 with 30A breakers on each leg. This got
	 me thinking (dangerous I know) - Could I use a 110V neon or MOT
       on each side of the pig, with the neutral on the CT? Thus each
   	 limiter would only have to handle approximately 3.5KVA max? At
       110 Volts no less, far easier to find.  But
       the pig would see 7KVA? Or am I wrong, and that wiring of 30A
       dual breaker actually delivers twice the power I think it does?
       Someone please tell me if I am all wet or not.

	requisite crude ascii art diagram:

                PIG
           B     CT     B
           | 110 |  110 |
               LINE

Thanks...
Michael Baumann
Coiler, Homebrewer, Nerd. mycroft-at-access1-dot-net