[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Thanks a lot everybody!

  Thanks a lot for everybody’s response on my Tesla Coil questions.

 I will now start winding my 18 turn, 8mm thick copper tubing, 8mm turn
to turn spacing, 2.5cm-primary/secondary clearance primary coil. I’ll
wind it around 6, 8mm thick polyurethane varnished plywood coil forms. I
am not fully satisfied with this coil because it is way too wide to make
my coil truly portable, but still, you guys said it was OK, so it must
be OK…
 I thank you all for trying to help me with the transformer problem as
well. If anyone can get a 1000W NST for me for less than 60 dollars
(shipping included) I would be very interested. Still, I don’t think
that’ll be possible.
 You know Holland sucks if you want to build a TC. I paid 50 dollars for
650 meters of 0.6mm enamel wire, 80 dollars for 30 meters of 8mm thick
copper tubing, some 100 dollars in materials for my coil form. Hell, a
30X100cm sheet of 8mm thick plywood costs 30 dollars!!!
 Now, if you want a transformer, you can buy a 1KW MOT for 150 dollars.
EACH!!!
 I simply cannot afford that. This is supposed to be a hobby, not a
rip-off. Specially if you consider the fact that I would need at least 4
MOTs to power a coil… (I have one that I got from my ex-microwave oven).
 Than they make marijuana legal and they outlaw ALL Neon Light
Transformers above 400W of power. I mean, COME-ON!!! What’s wrong with
this people??!!
 Anyway, now that I have expressed my feelings  of jealousy for all you
lucky Americans that can go to the nearest Neon sign shop and get all
the transformers you’ll ever need for free, or can go to a scrapyard and
get a POLE PIG for 5 dollars, I’ll go on to some practical questions:
 Ok. So now I have my aluminium dryer duct toroid measuring 13cm tube
diam. and 20cm inner diameter. I have a 1000turn 0.6mm 20cm diameter,
60cm winding height secondary coil, well dry and varnished. And I will
soon have my primary done. Some problems now begin to show up…

 First of all: Is Enamel Varnish as good as Polyurethane varnish for
insulating HV? How do the two compare?

 Second: Could I make a PVC pipe capacitor, or a Plexiglas sheet
capacitor that would compare in performance to those PE caps you guys
use? Polyethylene is non-existent in here… But I can get some nice
sheets of Plexiglas for 7 dollars each. They are squared, with some 30 X
30cm and about 0.5mm thick. I figured out that several of them
alternating with aluminium sheeting would make an easy capacitor. It
will cost a lot, but I was wondering if it would be any good… How about
PVC capacitors? Too lossy I suppose…

 Well, I was going to ask something else, but I forgot what it was…
Well, I’ll talk to you guys later.

 Anyway, THANKS A LOT for all the help I got so far!!!

 Sam Barros.

 P.S. What’s the Tesla Coil chat channel again?