[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Self-built power transformer (some design parameters)

> Quite a large chunk of iron. (Don't forget that five 8-turn windings in
> parallel is not equivalent to one 40-turn winding of larger wire.)
>
> Yes, Mike this is true, very true. Your second comment is of utmost
importance
> to Doug.
> But I think you hit yourself with this comment. Five parallel eight turn
> windings CANNOT be equal to a 40 turn winding. Ohms law would tell you
that it
> would only be a fifth of an 8 turn winding or 1/25 of a 40 turn. The AC
law is
> similar. In series they would be similar to a 40 turn winding, but not
exactly
> the same because of:
>
> a.) The different wire size (you mentioned)
> b.) The losses involved, which shouldn´t be easy to calculate, BTW.

Actually, Ohm's law is only valid if there is no inductive coupling. They are
wound on the same section of core, so they are effectively one inductor,
capable
of carrying 5 times as much current as one with a single winding.

--
           --Mr. Postman (Doug Brunner)
                <dabrunner-at-earthlink-dot-net>