[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Power Applied?, and further wiring tricks..

In a perfect world, connecting the neutral to the CT of your pig would make
absolutely no difference, since everything would be in balance and no
current would flow in the neutral wire. This is the basic principle of the
'Edison' three-wire distribution circuit.

In the real world, due to imbalances in the line to neutral voltage,
transformer windings, etc., some current would probably flow in the neutral
but it really wouldn't change anything.

It makes little difference to the circuit whether you put both MOTs on one
side, or one on each side. Since eveything is in series, both will carry
the same current and see the same voltages either way.

If you did wire it the way you suggest, you'd need to be sure the two MOTs
or NSTs were identical, otherwise the current through the two halves of the
pig winding would be different. Possibly enough to damage it under high
load conditions.

- Mike