[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Power Applied?, and further wiring tricks..

 If you go line-line you can still only get 30A max. (at 240V). The circuit
will only provide 7.2KVA (30 x 240) no matter how you divide up the load
between 120V and 240V devices. For example, you could have one 20A 240V
(4.8KVA) load and two (one per leg) 10A 120V (2.4KVA) loads, but not one
20A 240V load and one 20A 120V load. That would put 40A one one leg and
trip the breaker. The load on each leg is limited to 30A. You can get 60A
total at 120V, but only to two separate 120V 30A loads.

In the US anyway, the most common household service is 120/240V single
phase and the line terminals are 180 deg. out of phase with each other. If
you're dealing with a 3 phase star or Y service (common here in small
businesses) you get 120 line to neutral, but only 208V line to line because
the line terminals are 120 deg out of phase.

- Mike