[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Welder ballasts vs. other types (was Oops)

<<  I
> use NO resistors of any type with this system, just the welders. Did you
> detect any operating problems with either my magnifier or the twin coil
> when you visited my lab during the Teslathon last year? In fact, I have
> been using Lincoln arc welders for inductive ballast for almost 10 years
> on a wide variety of coil systems from tabletop to my current magnifier
> system and have experienced zero problems with them to date. I find the
> welders to be smooth, easily adjustable and reliable. They do it all for
> me.

> Ed Wingate RATCB >>

Ed, all,

I wonder if it's the welder that is creating the smooth running, or
somethings else about Ed's systems that make them run smooth.

I would find it *most* intriquing if someone did an experiment, and
replaced their welder with some other type of ballast to see if
thumping problems arise.  Or, conversely, someone with thumping
problems without resistance might want to install a welder to see if
the problem goes away.

Has anyone on the list ever done this comparison of welder vs.
other ballast types?

John Freau