[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Help needed for primary...

... Ok... It's me again bothering you people about my coil, in my
non-stop quest for maximum efficiency...
 Now, this time I have two relatively simple questions: One is: How
close can I make the turn to turn spacing on the primary coil? I
currently have one-inch primary/secondary clearance, and the primary is
wound 18 turns of 8mm 0.32inches?) Thick copper tubing with an
8mm(0.32in?)  Turn to turn spacing. Now, since the first and the 15/16th
turn will be connected to the primary circuit there shouldn't really be
a large turn to turn potential. So, in theory, if I epoxy the tubing, I
could make the turn to turn spacing 1mm(0.04in?) or less. What effects
would it have on efficiency? Would it make the primary more likely to
overcouple, what exactly would it do?
 I am asking this because with a 20cm diameter secondary, my current
design will have almost 1-meter outer diameter. Now, That is way too
much, and I want to explore all possibilities in order to make my
primary both smaller and more efficient. If making it smaller will
compromise efficiency, than I'll just leave it as it is, but otherwise I
want it smaller!
 Now, onto the second question:
 I see most people make their secondary coil forms out of plywood. I was
even suggested to do so. But from what I have sing trough
experimentation, Plywood will conduct electricity fairly well. Even when
DRY!!!
 I can see huge amounts of corona going right trough the plywood with as
little as 25KV.
 Will drying with a heatgun and varnishing solve this problem, or shall
I glue a 2mm thick piece of Plexiglas to the top and to both sides of
the supports of my coilform?
 Now, the next one is a bit more technical:
 How do you calculate the voltage of a coil trough the sparklength. For
example: If my coil makes 1 and a half meter (5foot?) long sparks.
What's the voltage output? And, How many watts do I need per meter of
spark?
 Oh yeah, so, if a coil puts out 1million volts, what would the amperage
be? I suppose just a few uA, but than there is also the toroid charge,
so I don’t really know how one can calculate it…
 And now, the most imaginative one: I want to use my coil for
electrostatic repulsion. So I’ll have to rectify (make DC) the output.
Will simply stacking several TV 60KV rectifiers in series do the job?
Anyone ever tried this? You think it would work? Would it be nice, would
the voltage be reduced substantially, what would happen?
 Sorry for all this questions…
And
 Thanks a lot guys!!!

 Sam Barros.