[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

New coil

I will be testing my new 6" coil this week! Here are the specs.

  Secondary
   form:  rolled polystyrene 6.25" x 34" wound with 21 gauge magnet wire
   winding lentgh: 28.25"
   coating: epoxy resin, and polyurethane varnish

  Primary: flat pancake primary wound with 3/8" copper tubing
   spacing between turns: 3/8" ten turns total

  Tank capacitance: 56.4nf poly vertical plate capacitor

  Power supply: two H&R transformers in antiparallel configuration
rectified by
   four 15Kv microwave oven diodes in a bridge circuit. They are rated
at 500ma.
   filter: 4700pf ceramic doorknob capacitor rated at 30Kv.

  Spark gap: vaccuum gap with 5 gaps total. I will be using a shop vac
to supply the       vaccuum.

   Misc: safety gaps, filter caps, capacitor gaps, chokes, damping
resistors, etc......

  I should have my first low power test within the next couple of days.
I will take    pics, and post them when I get them developed. I don't
want to push it to hard for the next week or two because the capacitor
has to be broken in SLOWLY! It took a long time to build and I would cry
REAL tears if I blew a hole through it!
  I'm very curious to see if using a dc power supply instead of the
usual ac will make any difference in performance.

                                  Frankensteins Helper
                                          Max